Wednesday, August 28, 2013

THE NEW "NORMAL"


So after the "25 week terror" docs monitored and assessed my situation hour by hour.  They told me after 72 hours of no bleeding they would give me a plan. The plan is for me to stay here in the hospital until at least 32 weeks or until I deliver. I'm on week 3 of being here. I'm on complete bed rest. Meaning, for me, I can get up to use the restroom, I can take a 10 minute shower, and I can go on a 20 minute wheelchair ride. I also have to spend more time lying down than sitting. It's too risky for doctors to send me home at this point after having such a big/bad episode. Receiving two blood transfusions is usually a sure sign that you will become acquainted with all hospital staff before you deliver. Even if I was released they would ask me to be somewhere close to emergency medical care and home health would come to me. There really hasn't been too much talk about that at this point. If I can make it into the 30's everyone will breath a little easier. Even Hunter. 

So far it hasn't been boring. I know that's the first thing everyone thinks "oh how boring". What I have realized is that this is the most down time I've had in 4 years and may be the last down time I have for the next 18 years. My desire to be up and about is kept at bay with the understanding that I am doing this for a bigger purpose. I am doing this to save my son's life. I'm doing this to save my own life. That may not be the case for every bed rest patient. I had a nurse explain it to me that way, and I decided to embrace what I'm doing. I have to take deep breaths when I feel cooped up, and I look at all positives first. When people ask how I'm doing I tell them I'm doing good. Considering where I was 3 weeks ago I am doing great! Sure there are things I could tell them to make them feel sorry for my situation, but mind over matter. Have I been better, yes. Would I prefer to be at home with my family having a normal pregnancy, yes. But dwelling on those things won't heal me. Generally speaking, I am doing good and that's my story.

I have watched a lot of HGTV and really insane "reality" shows. I have watched my favorite channel from when we had cable, TBS. Mark and I finished Season 5 of Breaking Bad and the latest season of Parenthood. We also keep up with our all time favorite Big Brother. I've read to completion 2 books and 2 magazines. I've done a little bit of computer work, and of course I don't miss a beat on Facebook or Instagram. I decided right now is not the time to take a break from social media.  I can do that when little man arrives. ;) I also spend a lot of time in meditation and prayer. Spending time praying for others, our family and praising an almighty God has kept me in a good mental state. 

I am usually awakened a lot in the night for vitals, IV flushes, and blood work. So, as you can imagine I don't sleep very well at night. I thought maybe it would help if I did't sleep during the day, but the nurses have all advised me to just sleep when I'm tired because you never know when you're going to need those extra hours of rest. So I do. I nap for 30 minutes to an hour or so in the day. They bring me breakfast, lunch and dinner. Terrible terrible food for anyone trying to recover from anything. It's all carbs, sugar and questionable meat. Mark has been supplementing me with a stash from WholeFoods and Central Market. They also bring by a "healthy" snack of chips and rice krispy treats about an hour before dinner. My oh my. Really though that's the ONLY thing I can complain about. This place is incredible.  

The nurses put baby boy on the monitor for an hour a day to monitor his heart rate and they also monitor me for signs of labor. I have had one or two contractions in 20 days and both were due to a full bladder. Nothing to worry about at all. Little man kind of hates the belly bands and monitoring. When they go on he decides to hide from the machine, box the bands or play kickball. He is definitely an active boy. On Thursdays I see the Perinatologist. She does a sono to check his growth and check the Placenta Previa for placement and signs of bleeding. All three of those appointments have been great news about Hunter. Little man is growing big and strong! Unfortunately, the placenta is still right above the cervix. There have been no signs of positive movement. It will likely stay right where it is. Keeping me a high risk patient. BUT she hasn't seen any signs of bleeding the past couple of appointments. With Placenta Previa that could change at any second, but so far so good.

So what is my body going through in such a sedentary state? Well, my legs get sore and I have to use the muscle compressors to stimulate blood flow. Some people hate them, but I like them. They feel like a good leg massage to me. I make sure to turn over a lot and not spend too much time on one side. I don't have bed sores. I get up enough and move enough right now that those have been prevented. My skin is dryer and it seems like my hair is shedding more. All very typical to bed rest. Even though I'm not really doing any physical activity I am still hungry every thirty minutes. The crazy hunger reminds me that even though I'm down I'm still growing a baby!

As for my precious family, they are here Arlington with me. The girls are staying at Mark's parents house. They only live about 10 minutes from here. Mark spends his day coordinating with his Mom and Dad so that he can work and someone can be with them at all times. He takes the girls to the park, he takes them swimming, he feeds them lunch, he goes to meetings and does computer work, he gets them down for a nap, he dresses them and bathes them, he does their hair, etc. He usually brings them to see me once a day. After he gets them down for bed he comes back up here and spends the night with me but wakes early to be back so he can make the girls breakfast. HE IS SUPER DAD!! He's the glue holding all of us together right now. I mean not only does he have the stress of his wife and unborn son in the hospital, but he has work and FULL parental duties. All girls need to find a man who would do what he is doing if you were ever in my situation. God has shown me favor, and I am honored to be married to such a strong leader and man.

I also can’t say enough about the support we are getting from our parents. My parents came and kept the girls for the first week since we had no idea what the future held. It helped us wrap our minds around this journey and get some things sorted out. Mark’s parents have taken us in and have been the day to day support we need. I can only hope to parent my kids the way ours have parented us. We honestly don’t know how this would work without them. I praise God for them everyday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment